Converting Sewage Gas to Energy in Wastewater Treatment Plants.
How does it work?
INNIO's Jenbacher gas engines provide the solution to the rising energy costs that wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) operators have had to pay to meet their discharge permit requirements. Our gas engines efficiently and reliably convert sewage gas into electricity in plants that use anaerobic digestion for biosolids treatment. The process covers up to 80% of a plant’s electricity needs and makes it unnecessary to burn fossil fuels for heating.
The gas produced in anaerobic digesters from municipal WWTPs generally contains 55 to 65% methane and typically has a low heating value of 500 to 600 BTU/SCF.
Impressive Potential and Results
On average, about 1 MW of electricity can be generated from biosolids for every 25-30 MGD of treated wastewater. Several active installations fueled by sewage gas show the generation potential of the INNIO solution.
- In Tirol, Austria, two Jenbacher gas engines, a J208 and a J312, power and heat a facility that provides 120% of its energy demand and sends the excess power to the local grid.
- Two J316 engines provide 1.7 MW of renewable energy for a facility in Portland, Oregon. The electrical output meets about 40% of the plant’s electricity demand.
- A cogeneration plant in Spain uses three Jenbacher J620 gas engines to produce 8 MW of power – more than four times the norm for a standard biogas plant.
- Three more J620 units enable a plant in Santiago Basin, Chile, to produce up to 60% of its power with renewable electricity.
Features & Benefits
- LEANOX controls with turbo charger bypass help ensure the correct air-to-gas ratio to lessen exhaust gas emissions while maintaining stable engine operation.
- Electrical efficiency of up to 43% reduces the need to purchase energy from the public grid.
- A fully developed monitoring function, including remote monitoring, creates high levels of reliability.
- Maintenance intervals – 60,000 operating hours for major overhauls and 30,000 for cylinder heads – cut maintenance costs.
- Seamless dual fuel mixing evens out gas production fluctuations by supplementing natural gas as needed.
- High power engine density reduces space requirements and installation costs.
- The low-vibration engine has negligible impact on buildings.
OUR EXPERTS ARE READY TO HELP YOU
Whether your business is looking for onsite power solutions, access to electricity, decreased energy costs, or even to sell electricity back to your local grid/consumers, INNIO´s regional experts can advise you on which solution makes the most sense for you.
Get in touch for free consultation on the following:
- The benefits of onsite power generation solutions for your company
- Potential financial benefits using economic modeling
- Consultation on the technical side of your project - fuel types, feasibility studies, equipment and balance of plant selection, and more
- Regional incentive programs relevant to your business
- Options to deliver your project: purchasing, financing and leasing, engaging a service provider (ESCO, BOO etc.)
- How to meet emissions targets
Fill-in contact form, or send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org